Access Canada Drug Mart is required to gather and uses any information that is necessary for fulfilling your orders for our products and services. Some of the personal information typically includes:
- name, mailing address, e-mail address, telephone/fax numbers, referral source, the name of your primary physician, birth date, the existence and types of drug allergies, medications requested, your personal medical history information, details of your existing medications, credit card information (including card type and number, expiry date and name of card holder), and prescription information.
The choice to provide us with personal information is always yours. However, your decision to withhold particular details may limit the products and services we are able to provide and make it more difficult for us to advise you or suggest appropriate alternatives. If we are unable to accommodate your request based on the information that has been provided, we may ask for additional details in order to identify other ways to be of assistance. We may also maintain a file containing contact history that is used for customer inquiry purposes.
The Purposes for Personal Information
We use your personal information to communicate with you, enhance your visit to our website, process your prescription orders and effectively provide the products and services you have requested. We provide your personal information to a Canadian physician to review and cosign your prescription.
We may use your personal information to offer additional products and services sold by Access Canada Drug Mart. In the event of a sale of all or substantially all of the assets of Access Canada Drug Mart records containing personal information may be transferred to the purchaser. We will NOT provide any of your personal information to an outside organization for use in marketing or solicitation.
We only use your personal information for the purposes that we have disclosed to you. If for any reason your information is required to fulfill a different purpose, we will notify you and ask you for your consent before we proceed.
In some instances such as a legal proceeding or court order, we may also be required to disclose certain information to authorities. Only the information specifically requested is disclosed and we will take precautions to satisfy ourselves that the authorities who are making the request have legitimate grounds to do so.
There are some situations where we are legally permitted to disclose personal information such as employing reasonable and legal methods to collect a delinquent account, a medical emergency or suspicion of illegal activities.
We sometimes contract outside organizations to perform specialized services. Our trusted service suppliers may at times be responsible for processing and handling some of the personal information we have received from you.
When you visit our website, information is not collected that could identify you personally unless you choose to provide it voluntarily. You are welcome to browse our website at any time anonymously and privately without revealing any personal information about yourself.
The ACT and Privacy Principles
In addition to our policies, we follow and committed to achieving and exceeding the privacy standards established by Canada's Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. This is includes the following principles:
The privacy provisions are based on the Canadian Standards Association's Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information, recognized as a national standard in 1996. The Standard addresses the ways in which organizations collect, use and disclose personal information. It also addresses the rights of individuals to have access to their personal information and to have it corrected if necessary. The code's 10 principles are:
1. Accountability: An organization is responsible for personal information under its control and shall designate an individual or individuals who are accountable for the organization's compliance with the following principles.
2. Identifying Purposes: The purposes for which personal information is collected shall be identified by the organization at or before the time the information is collected.
3. Consent: The knowledge and consent of the individual are required for the collection, use or disclosure of personal information, except when inappropriate.
4. Limiting Collection: The collection of personal information shall be limited to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by the organization. Information shall be collected by fair and lawful means.
5. Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention: Personal information shall not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required by the law. Personal information shall be retained only as long as necessary for fulfilment of those purposes.
6. Accuracy: Personal information shall be as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
7. Safeguards: Personal information shall be protected by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
8. Openness: An organization shall make readily available to individuals specific information about its policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
9. Individual Access: Upon request, an individual shall be informed of the existence, use and disclosure of his or her personal information and shall be given access to that information. An individual shall be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate.
10. Challenging Compliance: An individual shall be able to address a challenge concerning compliance with the above principles to the designated individual or individuals for the organization's compliance.
Our technology is current and we maintain security standards to ensure that your personal information is protected against unauthorized access, disclosure, inappropriate alteration or misuse. All safety and security measures are also appropriate to the sensitivity level of your information. Electronic client files are kept in a secured environment with restricted access, as well all paper-based files are stored in restricted access areas.
We manage our server environment appropriately and our firewall infrastructure is strictly adhered to. Our security practices are reviewed periodically and we employ current technologies to assist us in protecting the confidentiality and privacy of your information.
In the course of daily operations, we restrict access to personal information to authorized employees who have a legitimate business purpose and reason for accessing it. As a condition of their employment, all employees are required to sign a confidentiality agreement, abide by the privacy standards we have established and to follow all applicable laws and regulations. Unauthorized access to and/or disclosure of client information by an employee is strictly prohibited. All employees are expected to maintain the confidentiality of personal information at all times and failing to do so will result in appropriate disciplinary measures, which may include immediate dismissal.
Accessing, Editing and Updating Your Information
Decisions are often made based on the information we have. Therefore, it is important that your personal information is always accurate and complete. As a customer, you have the right to access, verify and amend the information held in your personal and financial files.
To help us keep your personal information updated, we encourage you to amend inaccuracies and make corrections as often as necessary. Despite our efforts, errors sometimes do occur. Should you identify any incorrect or out-of-date information in your file(s), we will make the proper changes and provide you with a copy of the corrected information. Where appropriate, we will communicate these changes to other parties who may have unintentionally received incorrect information from us.
Customers may direct any questions or inquires with respect to our practices or your personal information by contacting our Privacy Officer, as follows:
Access Canada Drug Mart
906 Main Street
R2W 3P3, Canada
Attention: Privacy Officer
Updating our Policy